The Center for Global Studies
The Center for Global Studies (CGS) at STU carries out General Education as well as interdisciplinary research. Recognizing that many problems now confronting humanity are global in scope and therefore require cooperation between institutions across cultures as well as interdisciplinary approaches, CGS offers relevant coursework in the humanities and in social sciences as well as training in new literacies. It also conducts interdisciplinary studies with a special focus on the complex global and local connections related to the Chaoshan region. The Center also includes a subdivision, the STU Integrative Thinking Program.
● Vision: Going beyond the limits of single disciplines to examine phenomena and issues formed in the complex process of global-local interactions, we aim at understanding complex problems from multiple perspectives in a holistic way, and thus developing effective solutions.
● Educational Goal: To enable our students to become responsible and conscientious citizens with global perspectives and multicultural competencies.
● Faculty Members: All have solid academic experience in North America, Europe, and Asian-Pacific regions, and have a multi-cultural and multi-lingual background.
● Disciplines: Global Studies, Media and Cultural Studies, Anthropology, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Digital Humanities, and several others.
● Teaching Formats: Seminar, flipped classroom, overseas practicum
● Teaching Languages: English, Chinese or bilingual
● Academic Research: annual academic events: the STU Global Studies Symposium, and the Glocal Chaoshan Studies Symposium.
STU Integrative Thinking Program
Through the compulsory STU Integrative Thinking course for all undergraduate students, we engage students with key concepts and practices in creative thinking, critical thinking, and systems thinking. The course is conducted via MOOC lectures and classroom tutorial sessions. At the forefront in its field among Chinese universities, the STU Integrative Thinking Program was awarded the 2nd Prize of China’s National Teaching Achievement in 2018 and the 1st Prize of Guangdong Province’s Teaching Achievement in 2017.
Global Studies Honors Program
Jointly offered by CGS, DCLL and DFLL, the Honors Program challenges students to expand their knowledge base, self-discipline, technological and communication skills to be more capable in making contributions in the globalized and multicultural 21st century. The Honors Program accepts 40 members yearly, 30 from CLA and 10 from other colleges and schools. To provide more opportunities for practical learning experience to undergraduates who plan to study abroad or work in international environments, the program offers rigorous multicultural practicums in overseas or domestic settings, such as “Global Learning in the World” model – GL in Japan/Germany/America, etc. Students can also experiment with the new model of social enterprise in our training for innovation and entrepreneurship.